Pain has a way of clipping our wings and keeping us from being able to fly ... and if left unresolved for very long, you can almost forget that you were ever created to fly in the first place. ~William Paul Young, The Shack
Just keep moving forward and don't give a shit about what anybody thinks. Do what you have to do, for you. -Johnny Depp

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Invisible Illness Week : 30 Things Meme

As seen on The Adventures of FibroSub

Invisible Illness Week : 30 Things Meme

1. The illness I live with is: Fibromyalgia, Bipolar Disorder II and PTSD.

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2011

3. But I had symptoms since:It all started with a fall down the stairs in 1995.


4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is:
Not working or being able to bring in money. Errands are whittled down to as few stops as possible, and are done in a single trip no more than once a week. 

5. Most people assume:
That I'm just fat, lazy, and need to get off my ass.

6. The hardest part about mornings are:
Getting food into my body so I can take pills.

7. My favorite medical TV show is:
House.

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is:
My laptop. It hold my knitting patterns, games, the internet, and my connection to the outside world. Without it, I would easily go insane.

9. The hardest part about nights is:
Falling asleep.

10. Each day I take __ pills & vitamins:
Seven, not counting pain medication or my rescue inhaler.

11. Regarding alternative treatments I:
Use heat and ice as needed, and spend a lot of time soaking in the tub.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose:
Visible. That way family, friends, and the government couldn't pretend that this isn't real, or tell me that it's all in my head.

13. Regarding working and career:
I've lost so many jobs because I get sick and take forever to recover, and then have panic attacks at the thought of going back. My body has never allowed me to work retail (no standing), but now I can't even work in a call center setting. I cannot work, but no one believes me.

14. People would be surprised to know:
I'd go back to work in a heartbeat if I could.

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been:
The reactions of family and friends.

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was:
Thankfully, I can still knit and crochet. Someday that may be taken away from me, but for now, I cherish it.

17. The commercials about my illness:
Make people think that a pill will fix everything instantly, and always show older women, making people think that young women are making things up.

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is:
Hiking with friends.

19. It was really hard to have to give up:
Driving. I used to escape by just getting in the car and going, even without a destination in mind. Now the muscle spasms make me a danger behind the wheel.

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is:
Researching and talking to others with similar problems.

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would:
I don't know that I've ever felt normal. I would go on a long hike or walk with my best friend and his family, and then go dancing all night like we used to.

22. My illness has taught me:
Be careful who you trust.

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is:
When people tell me (or tell others about me) that I "just need to put on my big girl panties and deal." Don't you think I would if I could?

24. But I love it when people:
Know about my illnesses, usually due to a family member with the same thing. It helps them wrap their mind around my issues.

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is:
Not a formal quote, but I've been told that I'm not allowed to die until after my best friend because he doesn't want to live without me...and he plans to live forever. So when it gets bad, I know it's can't be the end, because Mr. Stubborn is still alive. ;)

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them:
Get support. Find others online with your same illness and talk to them. Ask them all your strange, tiny, insignificant seeming questions. We all wanted to know the same things, and only someone who's been through it can tell you truthfully.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is:
How reluctant people are to believe.

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was:
Let me stay home instead of going on the errand trip.

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because:
No one believes you if they can't see it. You must just be making it up, or you're lazy, or you just want attention. No, I hurt, and if I can get one person to even look up what Fibromyalgia is, then that's one step closer to being recognized.

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel:
Like someone is listening.

No comments: