Pain has a way of clipping our wings and keeping us from being able to fly ... and if left unresolved for very long, you can almost forget that you were ever created to fly in the first place. ~William Paul Young, The Shack
Just keep moving forward and don't give a shit about what anybody thinks. Do what you have to do, for you. -Johnny Depp

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pills, Pills, Pills

In an effort to get into the habit of updating more often, I decided this morning to participate in Project 365.. Basically, that means you take and post a picture every day. I've seen some people take the picture each day and post them in a cluster (at the end of the week or what have you), and I may do that during flair-ups and fogs. We'll see how it goes.


This is how every day starts; how every day ends. I'm actually two bottles short at the moment, they're next to the phone, having been called in for refills.

I should explain the markings, I suppose. Pill bottles all tend to look alike, so I needed some way to be able to find what I'm looking for right away. I've also had moments where I'm not able to get out of bed or I want a pill while in the tub or whatever, and this makes it easy to tell Shady what I need.

The markings are all nail polish. Colorful, permanent and won't rub off onto wet hands (Sharpie did!). Each bottle is marked with the first letter of the medication and each medication has it's own color; for example, the big blue "G" you see there is Gabapentin, while Vicodin has a purple "V" on top.

The secondary marking system tells me when each pill is taken. Morning pills are dotted with a blue-gray, night pills are gunmetal gray, pain pills bright red, etc.

Also in the basket are a cheat-sheet and instructions from Dr P.

Not shown, but that usually lives in the basket is my health notebook. I write down every pill I take, so that I can easily figure out when the next is due. Also, the absorption of one of my pills is slowed by things like Tums and Rolaids, so I try to wait a few hours before mixing the two, and the notebook makes this easier.

I also write down any questions I want to ask on my next Doctor's visit, and make notes while we talk to him.

And to completely change the subject, I chose the title for this entry based on Glee. I stopped watching it after thee or four episodes (too much angst, too much Lea Michelle), but I love a lot of the music and I love me some Darren Criss. When I woke up this morning, I had the Darren Criss/Glee version of the Destiny's Child song "Bills, Bills, Bills" in my head, and the correlation to my morning pills is what prompted me to start this whole thing, so you get a bonus prize:

No comments: